5 Sent To Hospital After Generator Used In Closed Garage

February 11, 2018

Everett Fire

carbon monoxide

An aid car and two ambulances outside of the house on 99th SW

CO2

A generator was running inside this garage.

CO2

There was no power to the house and this sign was taped to the side of the next door neighbor’s house. Click photo to enlarge.

Five people were taken to Providence Regional Medical Center in Everett with elevated levels of carbon monoxide today.

Around 6:30 this morning Everett Firefighters received an aid call for an address on 99th SW. When they got there they discovered there was no power to the house and a generator was running inside a closed garage.

Everett Battalion Chief Matt Keller tells MyEverett News.com that one person was transported by Medic Unit, one by Aid Car and three by ambulance. All had elevated levels of carbon monoxide.

Keller says Everett Fire Department warns to never use a gas powered generator in a confined space. Here are some additional tips about generator safety and carbon monoxide courtesy of Everett Fire…

Carbon monoxide can be an invisible killer as it is an odorless, colorless gas that is produced when fuels (such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane) burn incompletely. Some potential sources of carbon monoxide fumes can come from vehicles, small engines, generators, stoves, lanterns, grills and BBQs, fireplaces, gas ranges, or furnaces. Often reported as “flu-like” symptoms, common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion.

People can help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in their home by installing carbon monoxide detectors in a central location outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home. Like smoke detectors, test them each month, and change the batteries every six months.

Items, such as generators, should always be used in a well-ventilated location outdoors away from windows, doors and vent openings.



,

About myeverettnews

My Everett News is a hyperlocal news website featuring breaking news and events in Everett, WA. We also cover City of Everett information and items of interest to those who live and work in Everett. It's written by Leland Dart a former Snohomish County based radio reporter born and raised in Everett.

View all posts by myeverettnews
advert

Comments are closed.