Everett Police Conduct Controlled Demolition After Explosives Found In Bloody Car

May 14, 2022

Police Blotter

Editor’s Update 2:15 PM: Monday 5/16/2022: Saying he felt the suspect might have been preparing for a violent offense, Everett District Court Judge Anthony Howard found probable cause to hold the 39-year-old man on $100,000.00 bond. Prosecutors now have three days to file charges, or he will be released. Still waiting on more detail on why the man had blasting caps and a live grenade in his car. We’ll update as information becomes available.
Editor’s Update 9:00 AM Monday 5/16/2022: The suspect in this case is expected to go before a Judge this afternoon for a Probable Cause Hearing. In a review of the documents filed with the suspect’s arrest on Friday Everett Police revealed that blasting caps and a live, charged hand grenade were found in the vehicle. We’ll provide further updates as more information is made available. (Note the controlled demolition was done on explosives recovered from the car. The car was not involved in the controlled demolotion).

This car was left in the parking lot Friday.

Bomb technicians from ATF look over materials found in the trunk of the car.

Explosive technicians look over photos of evidence following the controlled demolition.

A strange story played out Friday in the parking lot of the IAM 751 on Airport Road in south Everett.

About 8:30 AM an Everett Fire Unit was dispatched to the parking lot for a report of a man screaming in pain outside of a vehicle who reportedly had a device explode in his hand.

Medics were called and the man was taken to Harborview Medical Center and fire crews cleared the scene.

Later in the day Everett Police checked on the car in the parking lot where the man had been injured and noted some suspicious circumstances.

An explosive technician from Everett Police called in additional technicians from the ATF and FBI. The area was sealed off and an investigation started.

About 11:30 PM the streets were blocked off around the union hall and a controlled explosion was set off. A loud boom could be heard for quite a distance.

Once the area was confirmed safe the roadway was reopened, and technicians continued to gather evidence and process the car.

A man in his 30s was booked into the Snohomish County Jail last night on suspicion of possession of an explosive device and transporting explosives without a license. Both are felonies.


About myeverettnews

My Everett News is a hyperlocal news website featuring breaking news and events in Everett, WA. We also cover City of Everett information and items of interest to those who live and work in Everett. It's written by Leland Dart a former Snohomish County based radio reporter born and raised in Everett.

View all posts by myeverettnews