Two Smoky Kitchen Fires In A Week Bring Safety Reminders From Everett Fire

January 22, 2021

Everett Fire

The house quickly filled with smoke Thursday afternoon.

Firefighters use a big fan to eject the smoke.

Yesterday a smoky oven fire brought Everett Firefighters to a home in central Everett. The residents got out safely and crews contained the fire to the oven and helped eject the smoke from the house.

That follows another smoky kitchen fire last week at an apartment on Casino Road.

With two kitchen fires in the course of a week Everett Fire put out these reminders on how to stay safe when cooking and what to do in case you have a kitchen fire.

With so many of us cooking at home more and more and with kids at home learning new cooking skills, we thought it would be a great time to remind you of some cooking safety tips to help prevent kitchen fires. Take a moment to go over this information with your children and family members.

– Stay in the kitchen while you are cooking.
– Keep anything that can catch fire — oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels, or curtains — away from your stovetop.
– For stovetop fires, smother the flames by sliding a
lid over the pan and turning off the burner. Leave
the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
– For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the oven
door closed.
– If you have a fire, evacuate your home and close any doors behind as you leave to help contain the fire.
– Call 9-1-1 after you evacuate.
– If you choose to fight the fire, make sure everyone else in the home is evacuating, and you have a clear way to exit your home.
-If you use the self-cleaning oven option and it malfunctions, do not open the oven door to allow more oxygen to the fire. Evacuate your home and call 9-1-1.

Thankfully, nobody was injured in yesterday’s kitchen fire.

About My Everett News Staff

My Everett News is a hyperlocal news website featuring news and events in Everett, Washington. We also cover City of Everett information and items of interest to those who live and work in Everett.

View all posts by My Everett News Staff