Reckless Burning Arrest After Fire At South Everett Motel Wednesday Morning

February 13, 2019

Everett Fire, Police Blotter

Sunrise

Fire rigs staged on Evergreen Way due to ice, snow and slush in the parking lot.

Around 6:15 Wednesday morning we warned our Twitter followers to watch our for Everett Fire vehicles in front of the Sunrise Motor Inn after a guest reported smoke coming from her shower in a second floor room.

Everett Fire crews made a commercial fire response and had to stage rigs on Evergreen Way due to slush and ice in the parking lot. The arriving Engine crew found smoke in one of the rooms and had to open up walls in two rooms to find the source of the smoke.

Aaron Snell with Everett Police fills in the rest of the story in a press release issued Wednesday afternoon:

Detectives refer charges for an early morning fire that damaged an Everett motel.

Just after 6:00 a.m. this morning, a guest at the Sunrise Motor Inn (8421 Evergreen Way) reported smelling smoke in her unit. Everett Police and Fire units responded to the motel and found charring in the bathroom of another unit, but no flames. The building was declared safe with minimal damage.

Due to charring, Arson detectives investigated and interviewed the occupant of the unit. The 44 year-old man admitted to being under the influence of drugs when he used a torch style lighter to burn pieces of rubber in the bathroom, which caught fire and damaged the motel. Charges of reckless burning (RCW 9A.48.040) will be referred to the Prosecutor’s Office.

No injuries were reported to other occupants of the motel.



About myeverettnews

My Everett News is a hyperlocal news website featuring breaking news and events in Everett, WA. We also cover City of Everett information and items of interest to those who live and work in Everett. It's written by Leland Dart a former Snohomish County based radio reporter born and raised in Everett.

View all posts by myeverettnews

Comments are closed.