Tear Gas, K-9 End Hours-Long Standoff Between Felony Suspect and Everett PD

May 28, 2015

Everett, Police Blotter

Editor’s update 12:30pm: We have more information on events leading up to a standoff this morning on 76th street in Everett just north of Evergreen Middle School. Everett Police spokesman Aaron Snell tells MyEverettNews.com that around midnight officers responded to a domestic violence call at an apartment complex in the 300 block of 76th street. A man was arrested at that location and booked into the Snohomish County Jail. Three children were taken to Providence Regional Medical Center to be checked out as part of the incident. While investigating that case, officers contacted a second man who they determined to have multiple felony warrants. Around 2:00am that man fled into an attic crawl space which runs along the top of the apartment building. He refused to come down and tried to hide in the insulation. Officers had to obtain a search warrant to access the crawl space to arrest the man. Once the search warrant was signed by a judge officers tried to talk to the man through the vent on the outside of the building but he refused to cooperate or come out. Everett Police then fired multiple rounds of tear gas into the crawl space. They also attempted to gain access to the man by poking holes into the attic. Around 6:00am a police K-9 unit was brought in and officers were getting ready to put the dog into the crawl space when the man finally surrendered. He was booked into the Snohomish County Jail on his outstanding warrants. Overall the standoff lasted just a little over 5 hours.

76th standoff 1

An officer wearing a gas mask tries to talk with the suspect.

standoff 2

A SWAT team member shoots tear gas into the attic

standoff 3

A K-9 team prepares to enter the apartment

standoff 5

The suspect is brought out after the 5-hour standoff

We’ll get more details later this morning but a standoff between a felony warrant suspect and Everett Police lasted 5 hours and ended after officers used tear gas and a K-9 to get a man out of an apartment attic. For now here are some pictures of the scene with more to come later. Click to enlarge. Copyright MyEverettNews.com.

About myeverettnews

My Everett News is a hyperlocal news website featuring breaking news and events in Everett, WA. We also cover City of Everett information and items of interest to those who live and work in Everett. It's written by Leland Dart a former Snohomish County based radio reporter born and raised in Everett.

View all posts by myeverettnews

2 Responses to “Tear Gas, K-9 End Hours-Long Standoff Between Felony Suspect and Everett PD”

  1. Jeff Sky Says:

    With multiple felony warrants, how many more things has he done and not been caught?

  2. Eleanore Says:

    What a fool! Did he think the cops would just go away? I will never understand these kinds of criminals