Quick Work By Everett Firefighters In Two Kitchen Fires Thursday Night

December 30, 2022

Everett Fire

It was a busy night for Everett Firefighters Thursday night with two different residential fires in the north and south end of Everett, Washington. Here are the details:

Everett Fire Engines in the 1400 block of Virginia Thursday night.

The Everett Fire Department extinguished two separate residential fires late Thursday evening, preventing the fires from spreading through the homes. There were no injuries. Both homes had working smoke alarms.

At 8:40 P.M., an alert neighbor reported heavy smoking from a home in the 1400 block of Virginia Avenue. Engine 2 arrived on scene and found smoke showing from the roof of the residence. When they entered the home, they found a working kitchen fire. Firefighters quickly contained and extinguished the fire within 10 minutes of the call to 911, preventing it from spreading to the rest of the home. Residents were not home at the time of the fire. The cause of the fire is believed to have started as an electrical fire that spread to the kitchen.

Approximately an hour later, firefighters were called to the south end of the city for another residential fire in the 1100 block of 99th St SW. Engine 6 arrived to find the resident outside, smoke coming from the house, and the kitchen on fire. Crews contained and quickly extinguished the fire within 10 minutes of the 911 call from the resident. This fire was determined to be a grease fire that had spread to the kitchen cabinets.

To help prevent kitchen fires, here are some cooking safety tips.
• Make sure your home has working smoke alarms.
• Stay in the kitchen while you are cooking.
• Keep anything that can catch fire away from the stovetop.
• If you are cooking with grease, keep a lid next to the pan.
• For small stove-top cooking fires, smother the flames by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the burner. Do not throw water on a grease fire.
• For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the oven door closed.
• If you have a fire, evacuate your home and close any doors behind as you leave to help contain the fire.
• Call 9-1-1 after you evacuate.



, ,

About My Everett News Staff

My Everett News is a hyperlocal news website featuring news and events in Everett, Washington. We also cover City of Everett information and items of interest to those who live and work in Everett.

View all posts by My Everett News Staff