Burn Ban Lifted In Snohomish County But Do You Know The Burning Rules In Everett City Limits?

October 25, 2022

Everett, Everett Fire

burn ban lift

The burn ban has been lifted, but there still are rules.

Today the Snohomish County Fire Marshal lifted the outdoor burn ban for unincorporated Snohomish County, which also includes the City of Everett.

In general, the City of Everett is a permanent no-burn area, which means no burning of yard debris or garbage. However, small recreational fires are allowed.

You can learn more about outdoor burning within the city limits of Everett, Washington in this Q&A from the city.

1.Can I have an outdoor fire on my property?
Normally yes, but there are conditions.

The City of Everett is a permanent no-burn area. However, small recreational fires are allowed if they are:

  • under 3 feet wide by 2 feet tall
  •  use only charcoal or seasoned firewood (not dimensional lumber)
  •  Not within 25 feet of a structure or combustible material unless in an approved appliance with a clearly visible manufacturer’s listing and installed per manufacturer’s listing. Conditions which could cause a fire to spread within 25 feet of a structure shall be eliminated prior to ignition.

No burn barrels! Burn barrel use was banned in Washington in 2000, and burning garbage has been illegal since 1967.

During hot dry summer months Snohomish County will occasionally require a temporary burn ban. This means that even recreational fires are prohibited. Please check the Snohomish County Fire Marshal’s Office website to see if there is a current ban in effect. The Puget Sound Clean Air Agency (PSCAA) will also sometimes require a temporary burn ban due to air quality problems. Please check the PSCAA website for the current air quality ban status. To report an outdoor fire during these burn bans you can also file an online complaint or call PSCAA at call 1-800-552-3565.

City of Everett Municipal Code Reference

2.My neighbor’s recreational fire smoke is blowing into my property. Is that legal?
Open burning that is offensive or objectionable because of smoke or odor emissions or when atmospheric conditions or local circumstances make such fires hazardous shall be prohibited.

City of Everett Municipal Code Reference

3.Can I have a large bonfire?
Prior to conducting a bonfire for religious and/or ceremonial purposes a Fire Permit shall be obtain in compliance with Section 307.2 through 307.2.5 and Section 105.6 of the Everett Fire Code.

City of Everett Municipal Code Reference

4.Can I burn yard debris?
No. The State of Washington has permanently banned the burning of yard debris or trash in the City of Everett whether or not a burn barrel is used.
5.Can I have a portable outdoor fireplace on my property?
Recreational fires not assessable to the general public, or conducted on any public street, alley, road, or other public ground and are not classified as a “Prohibited Recreational Fire” are allowed without a permit under the following circumstances:

  1. LP-gas or natural gas recreational fireplaces, fire-bowls, fire-tables, fire-pits, or similar devices operated in its intended purpose as per manufacturer’s recommendations, and previsions found within the Everett Fire Code. Exception: The use of a LP-gas recreational devices is not permitted to be used on balconies, decks, or within 10 feet of combustible construction of a multi-family building unless provided with an automatic fire sprinkler system.
  2. Recreational fires, outdoor fireplaces, fire-bowls, fire-pits, or similar devices that comply with the following requirements:
    1. Devices shall be used in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
    2. Devices shall not be operated within 25 feet of a structure or combustible material. Exception: Devices shall not be operated within 15 feet of a structure or combustible when used at one- and two-family dwellings.
    3. Fires shall be limited to three feet in diameter and two feet in height.
  3. Upon discretion of the fire official, fires that are for the sole purpose of warmth and/or cooking when no other means is available, and the fire does not constitute a hazard.
6.Can I have a permanent outdoor fireplace constructed on my property?
Yes, but you will need to go through the City’s permit and inspection process to do so. Call 425-257-8810 or visit the Building Department Permit Counter.

, ,

About My Everett News Staff

My Everett News is a hyperlocal news website featuring news and events in Everett, Washington. We also cover City of Everett information and items of interest to those who live and work in Everett.

View all posts by My Everett News Staff