Concern Over Gun On Campus Leads To Lockdown And Safety Sweep By Everett Police At Cascade High

Editor’s Update 2:10 PM: Here is the official press release just issued by Everett Police.

Today both Cascade High School and Evergreen Middle School were briefly put into a lockdown due to a potential individual with a firearm seen walking toward Cascade High School.

Just after 11 a.m. this morning, a witness called 911 stating that they saw an individual with what appeared to be a firearm walking towards Cascade High School. Out of an abundance of caution, both Cascade High School and the nearby Evergreen Middle School were placed on lockdown. Officers from Everett Police Department and other nearby agencies immediately arrived at Cascade High School to conduct safety sweeps and ensure the safety of everyone inside.

As officers conducted their safety sweep there were able to quickly locate the individual with the suspected firearm and learn it was an airsoft pistol. There was no threat to anyone inside the school during the incident.

Officers are coordinating with Cascade High School to determine what steps will be taken regarding the individual with the airsoft pistol. Both schools were out of lockdown shortly after 12 p.m. and students were released at the normal time.

Two Everett Police officers on the west side of the campus at Cascade High.

Officers did what they called a “safety sweep” of the Cascade High campus.

Police checked all of the outbuildings and even the baseball dugouts.

Officers worked in teams as they conducted the sweep.

Officers return toward campus after escorting some students found hiding in the baseball dugout.

Initial story 1:30 PM: There was never a threat, implied or otherwise but Everett Police did get a report of someone seen walking onto the campus at Cascade High School in south Everett, Washington with some type of handgun concealed on their person.

That report came in just after 11 AM resulting in both Cascade High and neighboring Evergreen Middle School being put into lockdown by Everett Police and School authorities.

Everett Police were assisted by Snohomish County Sheriff’s Deputies in doing what they called a “safety sweep” of the High School and recovered a replica toy gun used in airsoft sports.

No word of arrests yet but at least one student was detained. Both schools were taken out of lockdown at 12:30 PM.

We are waiting on a press release from Everett Police with more details and will update our story when that is made available.


About myeverettnews

My Everett News is a hyperlocal news website featuring breaking news and events in Everett, WA. We also cover City of Everett information and items of interest to those who live and work in Everett. It's written by Leland Dart a former Snohomish County based radio reporter born and raised in Everett.

View all posts by myeverettnews