Discarded Cigarette Blamed For Apartment Fire

July 26, 2019

Everett Fire

Photo credit: Everett Fire Department

Yesterday afternoon a fire on a deck at the Hearthstone Apartments at Merrill Creek was quickly stopped by Everett Firefighters along with some mutual aid. Here’s the scoop from Everett Fire.

Shortly after noon Thursday, Everett Fire was dispatched to a report of a fire at the Hearthstone Apartments located at 1901 Merrill Creek Parkway. The fire was confined to a balcony on the fourth floor of the “M” building, and crews were able to extinguish it quickly.

Neighboring agencies, South Snohomish County Fire & Rescue and Mukilteo Fire, responded to assist. The cause of the fire was determined to be a cigarette discarded into dried potting soil, which ignited the vinyl siding and some ordinary combustibles. No injuries were reported and the estimated property loss at this time is $35,000.

Community members who smoke are reminded to please use a non-combustible can or ashtray for extinguishment. Learn more about fire prevention at www.everettwa.gov/fire.



,

About myeverettnews

My Everett News is a hyperlocal news website featuring breaking news and events in Everett, WA. We also cover City of Everett information and items of interest to those who live and work in Everett. It's written by Leland Dart a former Snohomish County based radio reporter born and raised in Everett.

View all posts by myeverettnews

Comments are closed.