Health Department Says Mukilteo Ivar’s Closed For Cleaning

April 19, 2018

Everett

Ivars

The closure of the restaurant was voluntary by Ivar’s

Not Everett but close enough to pass along.

MyEverettNews.com received the following press release this morning from the Snohomish Health District about a problem traced to the Mukilteo waterfront Ivar’s this past Saturday. Here is the press release in full:

Voluntary Closure at Ivar’s Mukilteo Landing Following Norovirus-like Illnesses
Reminder to notify the Health District who become ill after eating out

SNOHOMISH COUNTY, Wash. – The Snohomish Health District is investigating a small number of reports of norovirus-like illness in people who dined at the Ivar’s Mukilteo Landing located at 710 Front Street in Mukilteo on Saturday, April 14. It remains unclear if the illness was caused by food, or if an individual that was ill came into contact with the restaurant’s patrons. Due to the relatively short duration of symptoms, lab confirmation of the type of illness has not been available. Out of an abundance of caution, Ivar’s elected to voluntarily close the restaurant on Wednesday for disinfection.

“The safety and wellbeing of our guests is our number one concern, we are thankful the reported illness did not require medical care, and we take reports of this nature seriously,” said Bob Donegan, president of Ivar’s. “We voluntarily closed our Ivar’s Mukilteo Landing’s full-service restaurant, as well as the Fish Bar, on Wednesday to perform all cleaning and sanitation protocols.”

Restaurants, schools, daycares and other places where large numbers of people come into contact can be prime spots for the germs spread quickly. If you think you got sick after eating in any restaurant or a water source, please contact the Communicable Disease Surveillance line at 425.339.5278.

“These reports are limited to a very narrow window of time,suggesting a fairly isolated incident, but we applaud the staff and management at Ivar’s for being proactive and responsive in our investigation,” said Dr. Mark Beatty, health officer for the Snohomish Health District. “Our disease investigators and food safety program rely on the public to notify us when they have become ill and are concerned it may have been caused by food they either prepared or ate at an establishment.”

Norovirus is a disease that spreads quickly, oftentimes mistakenly called the stomach flu. You can get it or other gastrointestinal illnesses from an infected person, contaminated food or water, or by touching contaminated surfaces.

The virus causes stomach pain, nausea, diarrhea and vomiting because your stomach, intestines or both get inflamed (acute gastroenteritis). Symptoms include:

•       A sudden onset of illness, usually 24-48 hours after exposure

•       Vomiting and nausea

•       Diarrhea and stomach cramps

•       Headaches, chills, a low-grade fever, muscle aches and tiredness

•       Symptoms lasting for 1-2 days

There are no specific drugs or vaccines to treat or prevent norovirus. However, taking the following precautions will help prevent the spread of the virus:

·         Wash hands after using the bathroom

·         Wash fruits and vegetables thoroughly

·         Do not prepare food for others while sick

·         Keep children with symptoms home from school or child care, and notify them of the illness

·         Clean and disinfect contaminated surfaces with a solution of bleach and water

·         Wash all clothes and linens soiled by vomit or fecal matter immediately

The Snohomish Health District works for a safer and healthier community through disease prevention, health promotion, and protection from environmental threats. To read more about the District and for important health information, visit SnoHD.org.



About myeverettnews

My Everett News is a hyperlocal news website featuring breaking news and events in Everett, WA. We also cover City of Everett information and items of interest to those who live and work in Everett. It's written by Leland Dart a former Snohomish County based radio reporter born and raised in Everett.

View all posts by myeverettnews

Comments are closed.