Workers To Hospital After Spill At Waste Transfer Station

March 28, 2018

Everett Fire

Editor’s Update 3:10 PM: Here is the update from Snohomish County…The Snohomish County Solid Waste Transfer Station located near Paine Field has reopened this afternoon after a hazardous material spill occurred on the “tipping floor” where the garbage is dropped off. Four Solid Waste employees were transported to the hospital for monitoring. A few patrons who were using the facilities were escorted out of the building along with all employees. The recycling section of the transfer station was reopened at approximately 10 a.m.

The Airport Road Recycling and Transfer Station (ARTS) staff reported a strong unusual odor and found a spillage of industrial cleaning solvent around 8 a.m. Approximately five gallons of heavy duty degreaser that a customer brought into the facility was located in two 2.5-gallon jugs. The Snohomish County Hazardous Materials team was brought in and secured the containers. One of the jugs had a loose lid resulting in the spillage.

A hazardous waste contracting firm was quickly brought in and cleared the spill allowing the transfer station to reopen this afternoon.

“This is one of the reasons we emphasize that chemical containers are sealed and disposing of hazardous waste properly – not in the garbage,” Snohomish County Solid Waste Director Matt Zybas said. “Fortunately our emergency management plan was executed successfully to minimize the exposure.”


The initial response was for two alarms but that dropped back to a standard Haz-Mat callout.


A decontamination trailer is brought to the waste transfer station.

Four workers at the Snohomish County Solid Waste Transfer just south of the Paine Field Airport were sent to be checked out at Providence Regional Medical Center this morning.

Just before 8 AM workers reported a burning sensation in their eyes and of feeling ill.

A Haz-Mat response was called by South Snohomish Fire. Crews from Everett, Mukilteo and Paine Field Fire departments all provided mutual aid while the situation was being assessed.

Leslie Hynes from South Snohomish Fire says the source was believed to be spilled industrial cleaner disposed of inside the transfer station.

The transfer station was closed for cleanup and airing out and is expected to reopen this afternoon.

The workers were not seriously injured.


About myeverettnews

My Everett News is a hyperlocal news website featuring breaking news and events in Everett, WA. We also cover City of Everett information and items of interest to those who live and work in Everett. It's written by Leland Dart a former Snohomish County based radio reporter born and raised in Everett.

View all posts by myeverettnews

Comments are closed.