Everett Fire Confirms Propane Caused Fatal Explosion

February 4, 2016

Everett, Everett Fire

propane

Propane fumes built up and then there was an explosion.

Today the Everett Fire Department confirmed a propane leak caused the explosion and fire that killed the owner of a coffee stand at 4th Avenue West and Everett Mall Way last month.

Here’s the official explanation…

Everett Fire investigators have completed their investigation of a Jan. 7, 2016, coffee stand fire critically injured a 26-year-old woman and ruled the fire an accident.

According to a witness, the victim was using a small camping-style space heater to heat the stand, and was refilling multiple small cylinders from a standard 20 lb. propane tank. The witness told investigators that he warned the victim that the smell of gas was dangerous and that she shouldn’t be in there. It was apparent that an accidental release of propane vapor occurred immediately before a flash that caused the fire. Several seconds after the flash, the victim escaped from the stand through a window. The victim died several days later at Harborview Medical Center.

Propane is an odorless gas, but contains an additive that smells like rotten eggs so people can detect it. The Everett Fire Department urges citizens to leave their house immediately and call 911 if they encounter an unusual smell.




,

About myeverettnews

My Everett News is a hyperlocal news website featuring breaking news and events in Everett, WA. We also cover City of Everett information and items of interest to those who live and work in Everett. It's written by Leland Dart a former Snohomish County based radio reporter born and raised in Everett.

View all posts by myeverettnews

2 Responses to “Everett Fire Confirms Propane Caused Fatal Explosion”

  1. Anonymous Says:

    I wasn’t aware the lady had died. My condolences to her family.

  2. Anonymous Says:

    RIP baby girl !!!