Toddler Falls Out Second Story Window Onto Asphalt at South Everett Apartment

June 30, 2012

Everett, Everett Fire

Window screens only prevent bugs from getting in, not kids falling out.

A three-year old girl was transported to Harborview hospital Saturday morning after falling more than 10 feet out of an apartment window. Leslie Hynes from Fire District 1 provides the details…

Firefighters were called at 10:24 a.m. to the 1200 block of 113th St. SW where the girl fell more than 10 feet from the apartment window onto asphalt. “The girl was crying loudly when firefighters arrived. Her injuries appeared to be minor. Because a fall like this has the potential to cause internal injuries that might not be immediately apparent, paramedics transported the girl to Harborview Medical Center as a precaution,” said Leslie Hynes, public information officer for Snohomish County Fire District 1.

“There had been a screen on the window, but the child apparently pushed up against it. Screens are designed to keep bugs out, and can’t support the weight of even a small child,” Hynes said.

She urged parents of young children to be aware of the dangers open windows can pose. Fire District 1 offers these safety tips:

· Adult supervision is key. Unattended children run the greatest risk of falls and injuries, so the best first step is to watch children as they play.

· Keep furniture that children can climb on away from windows.

· Do not depend on window screens to prevent children from falling. Screens can easily give way under a child’s weight.

· Consider installing window guards. Be sure that these guards meet new federal standards for escape in the event of a fire. Window guards can be found at hardware stores and children’s specialty stores.


About My Everett News Staff

My Everett News is a hyperlocal news website featuring news and events in Everett, Washington. We also cover City of Everett information and items of interest to those who live and work in Everett.

View all posts by My Everett News Staff