Everett’s Newest Radio Station, AM 1520-KKXA is up and “On The Air”

July 15, 2011

Everett, Everett Economy

AM 1520 KKXA's broadcast tower from the bottom up

You can now tune in to another radio station that calls Everett home. After more than a decade of planning, legal battles and engineering challenges, Andy Skotdal has flipped the switch on KKXA at AM 1520. Currently the station is playing a loop containing snippets of songs with the word “radio” in the lyrics. According to the KRKO Facebook page they are still three weeks away from deciding on a format with three choices under consideration. The station is actually licensed to the city of Snohomish but will broadcast from the studios of KRKO in Everett. They refer to the station on Facebook as KXA which are the call letters of an old Seattle station that used to be at 770 on the radio dial. No website, format or staff yet but if you like hearing the word “radio” sung over and over and over, tune in.

This work, unless otherwise expressly stated, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

, , , , , , ,

About myeverettnews

My Everett News is a hyperlocal news website featuring breaking news and events in Everett, WA. We also cover City of Everett information and items of interest to those who live and work in Everett. It's written by Leland Dart a former Snohomish County based radio reporter born and raised in Everett.

View all posts by myeverettnews
advert

12 Responses to “Everett’s Newest Radio Station, AM 1520-KKXA is up and “On The Air””

1. Bill kral Says:

Hi folks at KXA,I found you by band scan and want to submit a format for your station to run and that is what KRKO used to have on –Good ol’ rock ‘n’ Roll. I’ve been following your testing procedure and was listening for you early this morning here in Victoria BC but I heard only Spanish music from Portland until 6:50 AM when your signal pooped in loud and clear and on a bus ride from Victoria to Nanaimo BC I was able to listen all the way to Nanaimo at arrival time of 9:45 when I got off the bus. A later check reveals that my Digital Receiver can still get a daytime signal that is weak but here. Hope you will end up doing some kind of music when you start regular programming.Thanks. Bill in Victoria BC

2. Terry Keyowski Says:

Good morning, just letting you know I’m receiving your station this morning on the way to work here in Regina, Saskatchewan just before sunrise here at 6:10 AM (5:10 AM Pacific time). Very strong and steady and enjoying the “Radio” reference song clips! Will check a few more times to see if it comes in regularly here or just got lucky it appeared today.

3. Brandy Says:

We LOVE you!!!!!THANK YOU,THANK YOU for bringing REAL country back!!!!
    Hire Ichabod & Scallops:)
    Keep up the good work!

4. Ken Says:

I just found your new station this morning, and have been listening. I’m pleased to learn that you’re not afraid to play some of the great older country music from the 50′ and 60’s to go along with the newer classics.
    Thanks,keep up the good work.
    Ken, (From South Whidbey)

5. matthew and sonya Says:

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for playing classic country-REAL country music! We’ve missed it ever since 1090 Classic Country went off the air.

6. Ed Says:

Thank God, Finally a station that puts Country back with Music. It gives us true country folks something other than that stuff they call country. between you and me and a fence post, that other stuff aint country./ My wife and I have put KKXA on all our radios and it aint gonna change, and were spreading the word that country is back. We love it keep p the good work.

7. Anonymous Says:

Great Station! it is what the area was missing.

Kevin Hunt Monroe

8. Andy Says:

Love your station! Please put Stubbs on during the day!

9. Rodney Says:

Good morning all. Thank you from the bottom of my heart that you all are bold enough to play the great country music that you play. I’ve had many, many flashback moments with many wonderful classic country songs that you play. I listen as often as I can. It is very uplifting to me during my two and a half hours of commuting each day here in the seattle area. Even my friends that I sometiimes commute with are becoming regular listeners.

Thank you again and please keep on playing that good ole country music.

10. P.J. Says:

I picked up a Silvertips broadcast here in San Leandro, California tonight on my Sony Walkman (I am such a techie)

11. Jim Snow Says:

Keep it up, never quit.

12. sandra Says:

Love your station, but I am really tired of the gal saying the name of the song and the artist and that’s all. She has a nice voice but no personality. I am about ready to look for another station. Don’t want to do it but….